Monday, January 26, 2009

Mosaic Art


I've never done a mosaic before but lately I have been doing nothing but thinking about them and pouring over pictures of ancient as well as contemporary mosaics. Without hardly knowing what I am doing I am jumping into a project which could be way over my head! But the ideas using color, texture and design are saturating the insides of my brain. My design was based on my interest in nature. I wanted it to incorporate something that I love, and that had to be gardening. There were going to be either birds, butterflies or dragonflies and the dragonflies won out. Once while in the garden there was a dragonfly hanging around me snatching all the mosquitoes that came near before they had a chance to bite so I've always been partial to them as little protectors rather than bugs. I wanted to be sure to include grass and greenery for the land and I wanted it to gradually merge into swirls of blue to represent the sky a-la Van Gogh and then around the border I'd like to have purple with some little gold sprinkled around like stars. Well, those are my plans. We'll see how this thing turns out. I'm doing this on the top of my old coffee table that I've primed with some white paint. If it looks horrible and gaudy when I'm finished then I guess I'm stuck and I won't be able to have any company over who would see it!

1 Comments:

Blogger "JeanneG" said...

Mosaics have never appealed to me as something to do. Way too many little pieces and way too messy when you have to do the grout. It will be very pretty when you get it done tho. Good luck with it.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home